Friday, June 10, 2005

Books

Excitement this morning. A couple of days ago I faxed an order for a calculus textbook, but then last night I noticed that the Web page that I used for the invoice had last been updated in 2002. I sent them an email asking if the order would still be filled and I have just received word that my order has been shipped.

I am still amazed at the high level of communication that is possible via the Web. I obtained the order form by printing a Web page and could have placed the order via the Web as well, but there was a message indicating that the process was not electronically secure so I opted for fax for that step. Later this morning I will check my charge card status via the Web to see if I have been debited the correct amount.

I am also using VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) to talk to colleagues in Australia for free (legally!). And I am using this Blog to share these thoughts with others.

I received an Honors B. Sc. degree from the University of Alberta in 1965 in Mathematics but have not used that knowledge in any specific way since then. Needless to say my calculus knowledge is a bit fuzzy. I have begun reviving my interest in the topic, which I once found fascinating (!), and have a purchased a variety of books on the subject in the last 6 months. I have used the Web extensively to find reviews and comments on calculus books, primarily using Google and amazon.com. I have then placed orders to both amazon.ca and chapters.ca. At the same time I have browsed a number of bookstores and bought a few books that looked interesting.

As indicated in the title for this blog, note that this is all initiated by myself, with the motivation being simply interest in the topic. Learning can be fun. Particularly when one is in the driver's seat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home